Creighton School was organized in April 1884 as East Phoenix School District Number 14. The present location of 2802 East McDowell Road is approximately the same site established at the time for the school on the dirt roadway to Fort McDowell, the Army outpost.
Early Leadership and Enrollment:
The first teacher, Miss Laura Hazeltine, taught two and a half months in the spring of 1885 for which she received $112.50. There is no record of the number of pupils that year.
- William T. Machan, Principal, September 1920 to September 1945.
- Edwon L. Riggs, Principal, September 1945 to September 1954.
- Harry E. Hood, Principal, September 1954.
- A hot school lunch was first provided in 1913 by the PTA.
- The Boy Scouts of America were officially organized in the school in 1921. In 1926 the organizations of Camp Fire Girls and Blue Bird Girls came into existence.The Cub Scouts were organized in 1938.
- The Boys Safety Patrol group began in 1932. It operated for a time under the jurisdiction of the City of Phoenix Police Department. The Patrol Girls came into being in 1938.
Land for the school was donated by the Creighton Family. Creighton School was originally called Goosetown School because it was located in a farm area where the squawking of many geese gave rise to that name. The name Creighton was adopted by the people out of respect for the members of the Creighton family who lived in the community and were active in school and community affairs. Hugh Creighton was an early member of the Board of Trustees.